Riding a bike is a great way for kids to get outside, have fun, and get around town. However, it is important to remember that bikes are vehicles (not toys) and riding a bike can be dangerous if you aren't careful!
CHECK YOUR EQUIPMENT
- Before using your bike, you should always check to make sure everything is working properly, like...
- Is your seat adjusted properly and locked in place?
- Are your tires properly inflated?
- Do your brakes work?
PLAN TO BE SEEN
- Whenever possible, ride during the day or in good weather.
- Wear neon, fluorescent, or other bright colors whether it's day or night.
- Put lights and reflectors on your bike.
ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET
- A properly-fitted helmet is the best way to prevent head injuries and even death.
- Use the Bike Helmet Fit Test and make sure your helmet fits.
For more bike safety tips, check out the following resources!