Law enforcement and detention services
Please see full listing of available positions below:
In order to apply, the applicant must have the following:
- A high school diploma or GED equivalent. Military experience and/or college experience preferred.
- Be at least 19 years of age or older.
- Be a United States citizen.
- Applicants must be enrolled in an academy or have a current certification from the Florida Department of Law Enforcement Criminal Justice Standards Training Center (FDLE CJSTC)
- Have a valid Florida driver’s license at the time of hire and possess a good driving record.
- Be of good moral character with no felony convictions or misdemeanor convictions involving moral character or false statements
- Eyesight must be corrected at 20/30 in each eye with glasses. Depth and color perception must be within normal limits.
- In order to take a marked patrol car home at no cost, the applicant must reside within 10 air miles of the Flagler County line.
- Applicants residing in a touching county (Volusia, St. Johns, or Putnam) are able to take a marked patrol care home at a cost of $20 per pay period.
Drug Use Hiring Policy:
- At the date of the application, the applicant will NOT be allowed to process if they had any prior use of a controlled substance (defined under FSS 893) within the last two (2) years for marijuana and five (5) years for all other illegal drugs.
- Use of a controlled substance prior to age 25 may be considered a youthful indiscretion. Youthful indiscretion is defined as 20 times or less for cannabis and 10 for all others.
- Any sale of a controlled substance to others will be an automatic disqualifier.
- Use of any controlled substance while in a law enforcement position or in a position that carries with it a high level of responsibility and public rust is an automatic disqualifier.
- Any untruthfulness about this or any other issue during the employment process will result in immediate termination of further consideration for employment.
The first step is for you to complete this employment application. Please click here for Employment Application.
The FCSO HR Division will review your application and conduct a criminal history background check, department of motor vehicles driver’s license history and conduct a Florida Department of Law Enforcement Global Employment Verification.
Once it is submitted and reviewed by the FCSO HR Division, we will let you know if you qualify to proceed to Step Two:
If selected to continue through the process, you will be asked to complete a written test. You must pass this written multiple choice exam with a score of no less than 80%. The first time you take the test, FCSO will incur the cost.
If you successfully complete your written exam, your application will be reviewed and if accepted you will be notified by the HR Division to set up an interview.
Step Three and Beyond:
Once identified to continue further in the process, the FCSO will schedule the following exams. Each is pass fail and they are paid for by the FCSO:
- Comprehensive background investigation and reference checks
- Psychological examination
- Drug Testing
- Administrative review and meeting with the Sheriff